Submitted: 01-10-2005 by Jeff Van Cott

I own a Performa II and Tabasco by Mayan Seas. I have also paddled the Performa L and the Performa S. My Performa II is short enough to be very nimble and, at the same time, I have no problem keeping up with anybody that I paddle with in longer, faster boats. It had a skeg (now removed) that I never used because it responds so well to edging. I have paddled the Performa in winds up to 25 mph, in strong river currents, in ocean swells of 8+ feet and launched in braking surf of up to 4 feet and always felt secure. My longest paddle in the boat has been at sea for nearly 6 hours and I did not experience the discomfort or back problems that I have in other boats. I have no problem rolling the Performa II but have found the Performa L to be a little easier with its lighter weight and lower rear deck. The Mayan Seas line is very affordably priced and any of the kayaks are a good deal.