Submitted: 12-02-1999 by Tim Mattson

Heavy people beware! I bought the Redline since its advertised as a boat that can be used for both river running and play-boating. At 5'8" and 225 pounds, I am within the advertised weight range.

Unfortunately, I am too heavy for the boat! I can sink my bow just by leaning forward gently in flat water. This means it works as a specialized play boat, but at my weight, its not the "river running play boat" I expected.

OK, so maybe I should accept my mistake, sell the boat and get a higher volume "fat boy boat". The problem is that the Dagger Redline is the most amazing ocean surf boat I have every paddled. On a steap ocean wave, the bow sticks out in the air and the boat's planing hull really shines. At the same time, the beveled chine makes it forgiving when a monster wave collapses and you need to go into survival mode.

So, I'm going to keep the Redline and use it exclusively as a surf boat. This means I'll need to buy another boat for river running and use up even more of my limited garage space (a fact that won't score points with my wife).

Schitt Creek Paddle Wear: