Submitted: 12-30-2004 by rkaller

I have owned my 12.5 Blackwater for a couple of years now and consider it to be one of the best rec boats I have ever paddled. I have two composite touring boats as well, so have a good basis for comparison. The Blackwater has great primary stability and a relatively low profile, so it's not as prone to weathercocking as some of the larger boats. The downside to that is in high winds and choppy water you're going to get a little wet. It has a large and comfortable cockpit, which facilitates entry and exit. It tracks particularly well with the skeg deployed. It's not a fast boat, but it sure is stable. I've paddled it in some really nasty weather and found it to be rock solid. For what it is, it's great. There are times and places where the Kevlar boat is not the best choice, and the Blackwater fills the bill. And, my wife and grandkids absolutely love it.