Submitted: 12-28-2004 by Tom

Mine was kevlar with ash trim. I can't believe how strong this boat was for 41-42 pounds - especially since its big enough to carry 400 pounds! The boat is so deep that it makes you feel extra safe all the time. It's also so deep that my dog cannot lie down and rest her chin on the rail like all my other boats...so - bad dog boat unless your dog is big (tall). Wonderfully narrow in the middle so you really can do efficient vertical paddle strokes. The boat is quick to respond to any lean so it feels tippy to beginners, but the secondary stability is unbelievable...very solid and very predictable...this boat will never scare you when you lean it. The craftsmanship of the boat is as good as any I've ever seen and better than most. I think it really is made for downriver work even though it has a fine reputation as an all around boat. For flatwater cruising the speed is about the same as a Wildfire...but the stroke takes just a touch more effort.

Although I really like the SRT and respect it, I'd personally go for a Swift Shearwater as a large capacity versatile solo canoe...or a Wildfire if I was leaning towards mostly river use.

For its intended use...downriver tripping with big loads, I'd guess that the SRT cannot be beat.

Cannon Paddles: