Submitted: 12-27-2004 by gunflint trail

This boat is awesome. I have had mine (fiberlar/kevlar-"Fiberlar", wood gunnels) for four years and have been very satisfied with its performance over several hundred miles in the BWCA. It is quite fast--I can keep up with a 17' Jensen tandem if there isn't a race on. It is a dream to portage. I carry it on my head, using the seat as a pad. The Voyageurs carried over two hundred pounds this way, and after the first few portages it works great for me. Because the boat is so short, it wobbles a little when tracking, but I find the light weight more than makes up for this. It is very maneuverable. I particularly enjoy it in the wind--downwind, it surfs nicely and upwind it has much less resistance than most canoes. I mounted a cane seat in mine using a Bell tandem seat drop; it adds a little weight and makes a tippy boat more so (in my view, its only downside), but this makes paddling with a single-bladed paddle more comfortable and effective. Anyway, thirty pounds is nothing to complain about (why would anyone pay almost twice as much for Kevlar?). I haven't flipped yet, but I have come very close several times--perhaps not a boat for inexperienced paddlers. All in all, though, a wonderful little solo.