Submitted: 12-22-2004 by feltman
I have an AT Xception in carbon/kevlar. This is the standard sized blade, not the O/S.

The Good:
- It's the most beautiful looking (non-wood) paddle out there.
- It has, by a narrow margin over the Lendal, the best feeling most comfortable grip of any paddle.
- The build quality is outstanding and confidence inspiring for any high strain activity, ie: beach landings, PF re-entry, bushwhacking, even self-defense.
- A beautifully smooth stroke with negligible flutter.

The Not-So Good:
- It's heavy by carbon paddle standards. Mine is a 220cm 2pc. and it's just shy of 2lbs. Most of the competitors in its price range are several ounces lighter.
- It feels short for its purported length. My 220cm AT looks and feels shorter in the loom and overall than my Werner 220cm. I don't really notice it when paddling, but I did tape the joint together an inch or two wider than the factory setting and found it slightly more comfortable. If I could buy it again, I'd get a 225cm.
- It's a tweener in terms of blade size. It's not quite a mid size blade, but it's a bit bigger than a small blade. I like it for everyday paddling some may find it tough to get that quick burst when you need it.

Overall I'm pleased with the paddle. My other choice could have been the Werner Kalliste which is a terrific stick and much lighter. But I kinda dig the durability of the AT. I don't worry about it when I drop it or stress it like I would with nearly every other elite paddle out there. I like the way it feels when I paddle with it. I feel it's helped improve my stroke. The grip is superb. And it's so pretty I actually hang it on the wall as art in the off-season.