Submitted: 12-08-2004 by capsized_Thomas

I have now owned my sirocco for 6 months and feel comfortable making a review. Oddly enough, I was not looking at the Sirocco when I went to buy the boat. The boats on my shortlist were: VCP Avocet, Necky Chatham 16, P&H Capella, Necky Elaho Skeg. I wound up eliminating the other boats as being too big, too expensive or too hard to find. I wound up paddling a Sirocco at a demo and feel in love within minutes. I like the low back deck for rolling and sculling, the solid bracing of the footpegs and the hatches. The boat really comes into its won in rough waters - I paddle on the SF bay as well as the Pacific Ocean, and feel very comfortable in larger swell and confused water. Tracking is okay (good with skeg down) but the trade off for maneuverability is more than worth it. I wanted a boat I could surf, roll, day trip and camp out of for a few days. The Sirocco does all this, and reasonably well. It is not speed demon, but will certainly not leave you behind. The weather cocking can be balanced quite easily by dropping the skeg.

What I don't like - it a big boat for my 6 3 180 pound frame. I have added minicell foam for a tighter fit, but would like a slipstream fit better. I have had a warranty claim already (foam bulkheads separating from hull, was resolved quickly and to my satisfaction). I'd also like a recessed compass mount.

Slipstream will be my next boat (wish they offered it in plastic).