Submitted: 12-08-2004 by DrKenn

For over 50 years I had rowed, sculled, sailed and paddled all sorts of small craft. Tried several other boats similar to the XL 139, but having a Loon 138 and being very happy with it gave the nod to the XL. After two seasons of extensive paddling on over a dozen large lakes here in Ohio and under all sorts of wind, water and weather conditions, I am delighted with this boat. Only wish I could add the newer hatch covers, but, alas, that can't be done. While the top speed might, in theory, be somewhat slower than a narrower boat, at realistic paddle speeds (about 3 mph) find I have no problem staying with other boat that though longer and narrower likely have greater wetted surface area. I am over 60 years of age and am 6' tall and 208 lbs, have no trouble loading and unloading this boat to the top of my Xterra. All in all a really great boat! Stable, reasonably fast, comfortable, safe and good looking, what more could you wish?

Portage Pal: