Submitted: 12-01-2004 by mfeagan

In 2003, I purchased this boat slightly used, fully outfitted for river-tripping (D-rings, thigh-straps, knee-pads/braces, floatation, in red Royalex). Although I would agree it is not designed for lakes or slow rivers, it is capable of flatwater paddling. I don't have a problem loading it by myself, or portaging it (I think the more recent versions are actually lighter than older ones - mine's about 75 pounds). Where it excels is on faster moving rivers, particularly grade II-III. It turns very easily and quickly, which makes it amazing for moving through eddies. This boat is ideal for river tripping up to Grade III. If you're planning on consistently running Grade III (or higher), you should be looking at specialty tandem whitewater canoes. Before buying the Legend, I also looked at an Old Town Appalachian and Mad River Explorer, which are quite similar (compare the specs). Overall, I am very happy with my Legend, and would buy it again in a heartbeat.