Submitted: 11-29-2004 by Art Cooper

This is my fifth kayak and for this one I was looking for a sleek, fast, light and stable plastic kayak at about 12ft long.

To provide some idea of what I am using as my base for comparison, my other boats are an a 12.5ft Necky Cruiser SOT, a 14.5ft Wilderness Pamlico,a 18ft Cobra Expedition and an 18ft QCC 700 Kevlar/Carbon Sea Kayak.

I compared the Capri to the Necky Manitou, the Current Design Kestral, the Perception Acadia, the Walden Vista and the Dagger Blackwaters 11.5 & 12.5. All of these are in the same class by length, weight and price. The weights go from 37lbs to 53. Each is just different enough to attract a paddler who is primarily interested in slightly different things as most important.

For the reviewer below, the double line running in the cockpit fore to the bow, is intended to allow easy placement and retrieval of storage or float bags in the bow. Itís a simplified pulley rig.

I agree that no kayak should ever be purchased without paddling it first. Also, several similar boats should be paddled before a decision to buy is made. Sometimes this means going to several different shops because each carries only a few manufacturers. Also, local paddling clubs provide a wide variety of craft owned by their members on every paddle they schedule. Paddlers are nearly always willing to let you try their boat for a spin.

What sold me on the Capri were in the order of their importance to me:
Narrow boat less than 25" wide;
Narrow fore and aft for more streamline shape;
Smaller cockpit, just enough to do a cowboy entry and exit or pull the knees up to rest on long paddles;
Hatch that can be opened while sitting in the boat for calm rivers without firm banks and having a leisurely lunch;
Greenland style that has most of the length of boat in the water and not wasted on attractive upsweeps in bow and stern that add little but wind resistance;
The multichined hull, though I am not sure how much this added to the control of the boats stability.

In ten minutes on the water, I knew that this boat was a good fit for me both physically sitting in it and in the way it handled. I recommend this to anyone seeking a 12ft plastic boat. Try it, you may like it.

MTI Adventurewear: