Submitted: 11-27-2004 by Brian

This is a preliminary report on an Impex Currituck (Kevlar/Carbon) delivered about a month ago. It arrived in perfect shape with the fit and finish I had heard about and witnessed in the demo. Purchased at Jersey Paddler…great help in guidance, selection, and purchase.

I am a beginning kayaker who wanted good performance in a kayak I could grow into over time as my skills develop. I was looking for something for a variety of environments. I live on the Severn River in Maryland and also plan to use the boat in coastal Maine and Canada during summers. I tried out the P&H Capella which I found entirely too unstable for my liking/skill level. I also tried the Gulfstream which was nice but a bit wide for my liking. The Currituck I tried was the fiberglass version that seemed perfect. The Kevlar/Carbon handles quite differently. It is much more responsive, quick, and easy to over-correct (which I am quickly and easily adapting to) and very easy to turn for 17'.

To date, I have only used it on the Severn in good conditions (today there was a pretty stiff breeze) and it is all I expected and more. It is very quick, very responsive, and, due to weight, very easy to handle out of the water. Perhaps as I get more time on the water and more skill, I will find something about which to be critical. At this point I could not be more satisfied.