Submitted: 11-24-2004 by Avatar16.0

I have been paddling for a few years now, but only in a recreation boat, a Wilderness Experience Pungo. I thought it was time to move into a performance boat, so I went to a local shop’s Demo Day on the lake and tried every boat they had. Out of all the boats that I tried, the Avatar 15.5 (they didn’t have a 16 on hand that day) just felt great to me. Now I’m 6’3” at 180 with a size 12 shoe so this boat was a VERY tight on me but I knew this was the boat for me and the rep. said it came in a 16’. So I had to go out of state to find one and I have owned my Avatar 16 for just over 1 year now and I love this boat.

Even as an inexperienced kayaker, I have never found my self feeling uneasy in this boat. I do wear booties in cold weather (bare foot in summer) so that my size 12 foot will fit, but I knew this up-front and I think that’s all part of “wearing” the boat to take advantage of its performance. I have paddled this boat for hours without being uncomfortable.

I have found the forward and aft storage areas to be dry and of sufficient size for weekend camping trips because I have packed them both full of every thing I needed and then some.

As I stated before, I’m an inexperienced kayaker with only time in other boats at the Demo. Day sale so I will not attempt any technical info in this review. I will say that I agree completely with “JW’s” review before me.

I have the yellow/red fade color and have had a lot of comments on how good the boat looks. Looks, comfort and performance…..I’ll keep this boat for a long time.