Submitted: 11-23-2004 by Bonneville

If judged as an all-round whitewater boat, it gets high marks. Positioned between the GT and Nomad series, it's kind of an RPM with a planing hull. I was looking for a good downriver boat that would easily carry 215 lbs. Even though I and others in our paddling group have had quality problems with Watermark boats, the Mamba's design snared me. It spins and draws easily, and has decent speed for a planing hull. The ends aren't slicey, so it's no acrobat. But, they have the volume to surf well and they readily shed water. The seat and thigh braces are adjustable. The boat features a movable bulkhead instead of pegs. There are four rescue bars, counting those for carrying at the ends. The boat came filled with drill shavings from mounting the hardware, which I consider a reflection of a lax attitude. The deck aft of the cockpit is recessed, making it impossible to grasp a paddle shaft and cockpit lip for dock or similar entry and exit. The feeling of the boat is very predictable and stable. So, for getting downriver at a good clip and playing the eddys and waves, the Mamba would be a very good choice.