Submitted: 11-21-2004 by Mark G

Thanks for all the above reviews, they were helpful in deciding to buy. There are not many 3 person kayak options. We were considering a kayak from Ebay from New Zealand but finally found a Cobra Triple for a good price from Ron Jon Cocoa Beach, FL. They had one that had been there for 4 years that they reduced the price to sell.

This is our first kayak and our first time ever with more than one person in a kayak. I can say that the Triple meets our expectations. I am 6'6" 250 lbs and take the back seat, wife is 180 and son is 80. I didn't notice any warping of the kayak in the center as discussed above. None of us had any water in our seats. The foot wells keep a little water though. Our son in the front experienced no spray or splash. The kayak is a little difficult to turn but I am not unhappy with the speed. The rear seat is a little narrow but a good pad (not the cobra seats) raises you up and a larger bottom fits. We all climbed in from a dock two feet above the boat deck and it felt very stable. We took it out in the banana river and nicely took the boat wakes. What a great way to see nature for a family here in Florida.

As far as downside, this is a heavy boat to lug around. I can carry it sideways slowly. And it takes two guys to get it on the roof of a Tahoe. My wife doesn't feel comfortable carrying her side. Therefore, our second day owning it I went to Ace Hardware, purchased 2 wheels and some PVC and have a very functional cart using the drain holes ($20). I think I may need a rear roller on my truck to allow me to slide it on better. I also must confess that I do most of the paddling and did notice that the rear paddler has to mesh with the middle paddler. I think the solution is put your most frequent paddlers in front and back.

Overall, if you can handle and don't mind a little weight to lug around, I think this is an great kayak as far a stability, safety for a family. I have been looking intensely for 3 months and am happy that we ended up with the longest triple and the one that can carry the most weight (and thus keep us dry). Looking forward to some fun!