Submitted: 11-09-2004 by BL

Squamish HV Fiberglass. At 46 lbs, it is very easy to car-top. The flush hatch covers are much easier to deal with than the usual round rubber ones. I haven't seen any water at all in the hatches so far. The skeg slider bar works great; the skeg stays in the position you put it. I also tried a CD Slipstream, and the Squamish is a lot less tippy. I am 5' 10" and I weigh 167 lbs, and this kayak is a perfect fit. I sat in an Impex Montauk, and my feet (size 10-1/2) were too big. The Squamish has plenty of foot room. It seems pretty efficient; I was able to paddle over 9 miles upstream recently. It turns easier than a Swift Caspian Sea I tried. With a 23" beam, I now use a shorter 210CM paddle, and it's just right. I was surprised to see that the bulkheads are plastic, not fiberglass, but it's not a problem. There is no security cleat or security bar. You have to run your lock cable around the seat area. The perimeter deck rigging has reflective patterns; a nice touch. Before buying this HV version, I rented a plastic Squamish for a day. I found that the HV one floats me a little higher above the waterline, so that I can rest my paddle on the coaming, with the blade vertical, and the blade still clears the water by an inch or so. I highly recommend the Squamish HV.