Submitted: 11-07-2004 by JLS

I purchased the Outback about a year ago and have been out a couple dozen times at least. Using the foot system this boat is fast and turns on a dime. You can also adjust the rudder and drift-fish the shoreline all day long. I really haven't had a problem with seat comfort as others have mentioned. Five hours in any kayak and you'll know it. But I've had it in choppy lake conditions and surf off the Texas coast and it was a dream. The boat is also a trolling monster. I've trolled for stripers and bass with two rods and it worked great, although you have to work quick or you could have a mess. I usually have one long line in the holder and hold a short line in my hands. The best part of it is you are hands free, which is an amazing feeling after switching a pole and paddle back and forth for years. Also, great for taking pictures or just cruising. That alone is worth the price. The boat is heavy but not unmanageable. I carry it in the back of my pickup with no problem. They need to provide a better way of lifting it. Everyone seems to have devised their own awkward method, none of them good. Sometimes after a day on the water it's like trying to lift a big wet watermelon with no handles. But it's easy to transport long distances to the water with the wheel unit. This kayak is one of a kind and if you use it for what it was intended, you'll love it. However, the yak is so different from others, I would definately suggest an extensive test drive before buying. It ain't cheap.