Submitted: 11-18-1999 by F B Cunningham

When it comes to a fun sea and river boat, I have to agree with Tim Mattson in the previous review. This is a fun, agile craft with well-placed deck fittings, bulkheads and hatches. I have had my Sport since May and find it tracks well once you adjust to the shorter length. I don't agree with those who say it tracks poorly. I've had her out on reasonably long crossings and moderately harsh weather and have had no worries. With some foot and knee pressure I can stay very close to a bearing without thinking about it. As to slowness, I can't really say. I haven't tried to keep up with 17 footers on open water.

She acts like a touring kayak (except for extreme conditions) on the sea and a great, fast, agile river boat as well. Like Tim said, you can turn this boat on its axis. With a hard moving brace you can spin the boat around quickly (for a sea kayak). The hard chines make this boat a pleasure to lean on. Nice at carving turns into current on rivers or along a shore. Initial stability is good, but I would not say "cowlike". It isn't like a recreational where you can move around without concern.

Great boat for surfing. I've only done small stuff, but she responds quickly to swell, and carves faces nicely due to her agility.

Overall, I could not be happier with this boat. Maybe not great for real ocean work, but anything short of that, including coastal touring, and this boat is great for a reasonably good paddler. And, no, I don't work for Necky :-)

Bending Branches: