Submitted: 10-28-2004 by Emilbus420

The Medieval is my first whitewater kayak, and I really do like it. The Jetty's at New Smyrna Beach, FL is my main surfing spot. This boat is a bit slicy for a beginning kayaker, but once you get used to it, you're in for some excitement! Once I had my bomb-proof roll, I was ready for the biggest waves out there. In 2003, we had three hurricanes fly by us in the Atlantic, and all three produced HUGE waves (10'+ on some days). The Medieval had no problems out there, as for me, I was eventually wore/stretched out from the beatings, and luckily I never had to swim in those waves! This year we also had some nice size waves (6'+), but I have the most fun in the 3'-5' range with this boat. Definitely faster than the shorter "aerial" boats, and also easier to paddle out through the breakers.

On my first WW trip, I paddled the Nantahala with this boat and had no problems, but after a couple times down, I decided to paddle a CFS on the Ocoee. The ends are a little "grabby" in holes, so I felt safer with a higher volume boat. After running the Ocoee, I look back and can't help thinking, "I would have had more fun in my Medieval!"

Anyways, I'm 6'3", 145lbs, and with the seat moved all the way back, I have enough room for sufficient foot padding, but could definitely use more foot room. What IS the deal with all the screws!? Peace to all the surfers that watch me drink a bottle of water way out at Shark Shallows!! Thanks Dagger for a sweet bottle holder in this boat!!

P.S. Make sure you have a strong (Kevlar) skirt if you're going to paddle big waves, and don't forget to stretch!