Submitted: 10-27-2004 by Bnystrom
I had a chance to demo the new Outer Island recently. The best thing I can say about it is that it handles just like the original, which is to say, very well. It exhibits moderately strong tracking, good speed and strong secondary stability. It's built with Impex's typical high quality. I felt that the seat was a bit high, but that's a personal preference.

One thing that I definitely didn't like was the cockpit size. It's best described as a "small keyhole". It's not as easy to enter as many keyhole cockpits, but doesn't offer the security of the "ocean" (small) cockpit, which the original design calls for. I found that this "neither fish nor foul" size wanting, but paddlers with shorter legs may find it ideal. When the O.I. becomes available with an ocean cockpit (it's in the works), I'll be interested.