Submitted: 10-21-2004 by RFD

I've had my Nantucket for 3 seasons now. My main initial complaint was the weight. If I remember correctly it was advertised to weigh about 50-55#. Actual weight is 65#. That is a pretty good load to get on a car rack alone. After a little use the bottom oil-canned in the entire center one third of the boat. It still was fun to paddle and on the quiet lakes I use it on it tracks great and turns really well with a leaned turn. I also have a narrow, long cedar strip that I built but except for the weight the Nantucket is my favorite to paddle.

So...I have done my best to duplicate the shape and will be building a cedar strip version of the Nantucket this winter. In duplicating the shape I also found that the keel line was not straight. Hopefully the copy will have the good qualities without the weight, the oil canned bottom, or the warped keel. The Nantucket is a great design for its intended use - it just didn't come off the assembly line as drawn. By the way - I had heard that the Nantucket was discontinued so I felt that it was not unethical to make a copy for my own use - now I see it still for sale in some places so I am not sure of its production status.