Submitted: 10-19-2004 by dferguson

My wife and I are new to kayaking. We did research by reading reviews on the Internet and in Kayaking magazines. We just purchased our kayaks in August during a sale at REI -we bought identical Blackwater 11.5's. We finally had a chance to try them out! It was the perfect day for our first outing - 68degrees with about a 15-20 mph wind. We tried them out in the lake at Stoney Metro Park in Michigan. We paddled for about two and a half hours. We were quite pleased. They are very stable, seemed responsive, and we were comfortable. The only complaint we have is that we did get a little wet - but that was because we need to get a couple of nylon skirts for the cockpits. Over all I would rate this kayak at an 8. We have signed up to take a kayaking class and probably need to add knee and thigh pads to make ourselves more comfortable.