Submitted: 10-18-2004 by Bonneville

While its full model name is the Capri Tour, it would not rate highly as a tripper. With a 12' length and relatively low volume, it just wouldn't cut it. So, I evaluate it as a recreational boat. As that, it's a much better choice than most of the plastic barges beginners will quickly outgrow.

The hull design and construction and 25" beam provide you with performance opportunities that grow with your skills. Some beginners may interpret the willingness to j-lean as instability, but that's not the case. The lean drops that hard edge and enables you to carve like it's on rails. Related to this, don't expect the padded thigh braces touted in the outdated promotion copy. These were eliminated after the first year. But, the deck is molded to accommodate knee and thigh control, and you can glue in the padding. The hatch and footpegs work well.

Either toss the funky seat pad or glue it in. The meager Velcro strips included all but ensure you'll loose it on a shuttle. There's a line under the foredeck that runs fore and aft, but I haven't discerned its function. The deck net is a handy addition, especially considering the poor bottle-holder placement that Prijon insists on incorporating in its seats. Trust me, if you're in the habit of icing your bottle prior to summer runs, you won't be comfortable with the location unless you've recently had a vasectomy.

I was also puzzled by the published paddler weight range, since it easily takes on people the north side of two hundred. Only thing I can speculate is that they were viewing it as a tripper and allowed for gear weight.

So, we all agree it's a fast, lively, lightweight and rugged boat, but is it worth the price tag for recreational applications? I found a number of dealers willing to discount heavily. My theory is that the nebulous product positioning has made it a slow mover and the dealers are willing to deal. I was able to buy one for well under the price of a 12' recreational barge. Better boat, lower price makes this close to a ten.