Submitted: 10-11-2004 by mensacyclist

This is the ride I've been waiting for! After buying my first touring kayak (WS sealution II) I realised that rudders were not for me. I wanted a Skeg boat which really narrowed the field. I also wanted inexpensive which meant polyethylene and used. I found my passage on Ebay and it fit the bill. The boat tracks extremely well, even with the skeg up. With the skeg down it tracks like its on rails. The bow seems very buoyant...it goes OVER the waves as opposed to going THROUGH them. A much drier ride than what I'm used to. There is plenty of room for me (6 ft, 163 lbs, 33 inch inseam) It is wide enough to offer excellent initial and secondary stability but skinny enough to be nimble etc. The overall quality seems fine especially considering what these sell for.

The cons: The plastic seems to have billions of air bubbles in it. The surface of the boat is pock marked with a billion small holes. Very rough and probably causes measurable drag. The bottom part of the seat is hard plastic and molded to the shape of a butt. If your butt happens to fit that mold exactly, then you should be fine. But, if you happen to be a little wider then you get jabbed in the hips with the hard plastic part of the seat. I think if I raise myself up about 1/4 inch, by placing a gel pad on the seat, then I should be fine.

Overall, the most perfectly suited kayak for me yet. If they made it in kevlar I'd start saving my pennies today.