Submitted: 10-03-2004 by janodes
I purchased my Big Kahuna three years ago July and have flown with it to Baja 3 times, Lake Powell, Caya Costa Fla., the Exumas, and just got back from a Gulf Islands BC trip. The reason I am writing this review, aside from agreeing with everyone else on what a great boat this is, is to bring attention to the change in airline weight/size regulations. On my return flight from Florida the airline check in person informed me my bags were overweight saying 50lbs per bag was max on domestic flights but because I had purchased my ticket before this had gone into effect she wouldn't charge me the $100 fee. Ok, so I'll only fly out of the US from now on I said. I went to Baja and the Bahamas earlier this year with 2-70lb bags without problem. [bag one is all boat, PFD, 2 paddles, pump, sail, etc, bag two is camping gear, shorty wetsuit, fins and snorkel, etc]

I called Frontier about ten days before flying to Vancouver Island to make sure I'd still make weight restrictions on a flight leaving the US. Maybe Canada doesn't count as outside the US but max weight was 2-50lb bags with an overall dimension of 63". That left me scrambling to light my gear by 40lbs!

One of the reasons I like kayak camping is that I didn't have to be as weight consious as backpacking, that is til now. Which brings me to why I'm heaping more praise on the Big Kahuna.

I left the PFD in [to pad the rudder] took out all other non Feathercraft parts and the footpegs and made the 50lb limit. Last year I was lusting for a K1 in the bigger must be better mode, I have forgotten about that thanks to the airlines! But am very grateful for my Kahuna [Fiona] and all the beautiful places she has carried me. If you'll excuse me I need to go drill some holes in my toothbrush!