Submitted: 10-01-2004 by bs

I bought the Pamlico 100 after paddling a secondhand otter for about a year. I tried my girlfriend's Pungo 100, and loved it, but the full length keel left much to be desired in moving water. Letís just say that the Pungo is not the best boat for Class 1 and 2 whitewater. The Pamlico, on the other hand, is well suited to paddling in flowing water. Its rounded hull is very maneuverable, and eddy turns and peelouts are a breeze. The boat also has enough room for an overnight trip, or an extended trip, with careful packing. My Pamlico is the EXP model, which has the Phase III outfitting, which is very comfortable, but the leg lifts made me feel like I was sitting on top of the boat, rather than in it. My only other gripes about the boat are its lack of flotation, which is easily remedied, and the omission of a drain plug, also easily fixed. Other than that, the boat gets a 9 of 10 for its ease of paddling, speed, and excellent maneuverability. I would recommend this boat for anyone looking for a small, responsive boat for ponds, creeks and flowing rivers.

Suspenz: