Submitted: 09-30-2004 by Bill Desmond

I purchased my Cape Horn 15 three years ago, and wish it had been sooner. We live on the shore of Lake Huron, and do much of our kayaking on nearby Georgian Bay- rocks, cliffs, and very cold deep water, with islands galore. The Cape Horn has never let me down. I've camped for ten days with it- requires some skill packing and good equipment, and a bow bag, but definitely possible. The boat handles very well in large waves and high winds, always feels stable, and moves nicely through the water. The rudder works very well especially in high wind/large waves. I've had the bow under many times and the forward hatch is always dust dry. The stern hatch in rough weather will leak (a cup or so) but I think this may be through the rudder cables. I made a sail for mine that is fun to use and the boat moves very well with a stiff breeze. I'm planning a two week trip with it next summer, open lake paddling and am confident the Cape Horn will be the least of my worries. It's poly and has the usual drawbacks with that, but tough for bouncing off the rocks. I'm 57, and small, but in good condition- the Cape Horn has been all I hoped for in a plastic kayak.