Submitted: 09-30-2004 by mark

I picked up an Eski just a month or so ago. Have been in some action for me with it and it does just fine as long as I relax and let the kayak do it's job. I am in my first year kayaking and my first kayak is a rec style, wide, short and flat bottom (very heavy).

At first the Eski felt very unstable, I know a lot has to do with my skill level. I have had her out about a dozen times now and feeling much better about it. Initial stability, while still tippy, is good, secondary stability is something I am growing into. It tends to weathercock easily without the rudder down. With the rudder down responds quickly with toe inputs. Although the rudder is nice it tends to add a lot of drag. I have used the rudder in some rough stuff and felt it added to the stability overall. I feel that it is a kayak I can grow into and will be a long time before I grow out of it.

Planning my first camping trip the first week in Nov. Trying to get out several times a week to get the feel for it. Wondering how it will do when loaded up, if it will cause it to sit better in the water and feel more stable. I picked mine up second hand and at a good price, am happy with my choice. She is very light to load on the racks. Because I am still learning how to carve a turn I think that this kayak is not an easy turning craft, I will let you know in six months or so after I have really had some time in it. I really like the rudder system for the way the foot pegs work, a post with rudder style toe peddles, so even if the cables break I still have a brace point for me feet

I wished it had better deck rigging for the aft deck. It is a fast one, paddles and glides easily. I am relearning my paddle stroke, going to a low verses a high stroke, makes all the difference in the world. I did about 7 miles tonight and as long as I kept my rhythm this kayak was effortless to move along. All in all I am pleased with the Eski and feel I made the right choice for me, time will tell but I am happy and don't think it will let me down.