Submitted: 09-29-2004 by tp

I purchased the Kingfish this summer as my first kayak. I test paddled a OK Drifter, WS Tarpon 120 and 140 first, then settled on the Kingfish, with the over riding consideration being price. I was not sure if I would enjoy kayak fishing, and I knew that I could sell the boat for 75% of what I paid next summer. The Kingfish is very stable, I routinely stand up to flyfish out of it in the backwaters, not in the ocean. It is not very fast, when paddling with other kayakers, I am usually the one playing catch up (when we switched boats - they had to play catch up). Speed is entirely a function of hull design - a trade off for the extreme stability you receive. Molded in well for 5 gallon bucket and milk crate is awesome and a great feature - no modifications needed. Would have liked recessed grab handles vice the larger ones. Immediately upon purchasing, I replaced the bungie cords used for paddle holders to prevent overstressing the rivets. The plastic hull is definitely thinner on top than more "name brand" kayaks - this also contributes to the lack of speed through the water as the kayak is flexing with the waves - not enough to notice but enough to affect speed. I'm 5'9" and on the next to last foot peg - not a kayak for anyone over 6 feet. Nice wide seat area. Replaced the provided seat with a better one after one trip. Do I catch fish out of it - yes! Is it fun - yes! Will I get another kayak next year - yes! Not because there is anything wrong with the boat - just because that is what we do!