Submitted: 09-23-2004 by fatport

I've had my Sitka for 7 years, and I've always had a love/hate relationship with the boat. As previously noted by others, it's cavernous. It loads so easily and holds so much, that I can take whatever I want. I laugh when I see (mostly British) boats with their tiny front hatches. What can you fit through those things? I also love how comfortable the boat is. I've never had numb legs, cramps, or lower back pain. Now to the down side, whoever says this boat handles well empty in anything but flat water must weigh a lot more than me (6'1", 180 lbs). If it's empty, the wind owns this boat. My latest solution is to take the sand bags sold for winter traction and throw one of those in stern. It's also a pig in following seas, loaded or not. I can't count the number of times I fought the bow heading up Resurrection Bay (AK). I'd also trade the integral rudder for a flip over or a skeg. I've considered glassing over the rudder and retrofitting a Feathercraft rudder on back. It would solve the following seas problem, which is really its most glaring fault. Dagger doesn't make the Sitka anymore, which means there's no customer service. I broke the rudder control cable last year, and they told me I was SOL. I fixed it with parts from Home Depot. I'll keep it because it is a good extended touring boat. For anything but that, I'll use my Feathercraft K1 - a far superior handling boat.