Submitted: 09-21-2004 by gbn2

The Loki R is a well-constructed, fast, ultra-light weight carbon fiber/kevlar kayak with a very high initial stability and an acceptable secondary stability. I use it for a workout boat. At an honest 41 lbs., it has a responsive feel and accelerates quickly. It is made to be paddled with the rudder down, and wanders without it. If you live for edged turns, forget it--this boat turns (and turns quickly) dead flat by means of the rudder. With the rudder down, you feel confident that you can go where you want in a great variety of conditions. I have driven it into 3' wind chop and found it to be relatively dry. Its flat bottom makes it a fast surfer on big wind chop, and the rudder stays buried to avoid broaching. I would opt for another inch of deck height to accommodate my long-legged 6'2" frame, but I can sit and bring my legs in one by one, so it's not really cramped. On my Loki R, the rear carry handle is placed where there is a possibility of interfering with the rudder, so this needs some attention. All in all, this unusual design delivers speed and stability and is a pleasure to paddle. Great customer service also.

Thunder Bay Tourism: