Submitted: 09-21-2004 by Billyrivers

Brilliant. I'm 175lb, 45 years and a bit past it and even I can surf this! Contrary to other reviews, in my experience, even in head high surf, I can get out thru the waves when the waveskiers are being toppled - this thing just blasts through, if you are prepared to dig in and really paddle. Catches any wave but even leaning right back it will nosedive on the really big waves, but it's such a blast that it's all part of the fun - think about a helmet in big waves though.

If you are not surfing it's great fun for what we call rock-hopping in the UK - nibbling in and out of a rocky shoreline, exploring the gentle stuff and catching the breakers on the rebound. Sure it leaks at the riveted clips but it's a quick job to empty every couple of hours. If you are going to surf, buy the thigh straps & backrest - the difference is unbelievable - you can even dig your edges in like a real goatboater! Plus the thigh strap makes a great shoulder strap for easy carrying. I own kayaks, open canoes, surfboards, wave-skis and sailing boats but for fun & versatility the Yak beats the lot!