Submitted: 09-20-2004 by gbn2

This is a comfortable, forgiving, and reasonably fast kayak. I have had it out in 25 mph wind and 2-1/2 foot wind chop and found it to behave predictably and deliver a dry ride. A review in Canoe and Kayak magazine panned the Phoenix for "pronounced" weather cocking, but I have found it to be easily controllable by adjusting the skeg and maybe edging a bit now and then. The thigh braces are contoured in a way that fits me really well, and the ample deck height accommodates my long-legged 6'2" frame. The Phoenix edges easily and confidently, and spins a good turn with the skeg up--even turns OK with the skeg down. Initial and secondary stability are both strong. The Carbonlite material is extremely strong--on my first paddle, I unexpectedly encountered a rock that ripped about 5 feet down the hull--expecting the worst, I found a only a minor scratch. The only negative I have about the boat is that I sometimes find water in the rear hatch. Nothing alarming, but would be better if there were none. I haven't found the source yet, and need to do some experiments and maybe talk to Eddyline. All in all, a great kayak.