Submitted: 09-13-2004 by maximadude

I bought this boat in July 2004 sight unseen, but well researched via this website and email exchanges with other owners. I am extremely happy with the purchase. A pleasing Mango colour, the boat has very clean lines and the plastic is top notch compared to many of the other manufacturers I looked at. The Calabria is lighter than my 13 foot Clearwater Design Inuvik, and is a pleasure to paddle. It comes up to speed effortlessly and holds its line without difficulty. Surfing with the waves gives you the feeling of sitting on a rocket! I found the seat to be more comfortable than the Wilderness Systems set up and the adjustable thigh braces are great. The boat receives a lot of compliments and has been difficult for me to keep to myself. The teens now each want one and my wife wants to offload the 13 ft. rec boat in favour of something similar.

I'm 6'2' and 185 lbs. The boat is a perfect fit for me. My wife at 5'2" and 130 lbs has no difficulty paddling this boat whatsoever, but prefers a cushion on top of the seat to raise her by about 2", as she feels the cockpit edge is a little too high for her. We will be checking out the Prijon Catalina for her, as it in theory is designed for a smaller person.

The tough rigid plastic has shown no signs at all of warping, denting, oil canning, and I have been able to strap it down quite tight with the ratchet straps on my racks. The 36" keyhole cockpit design makes entry/eggress a snap. The boat came with a rudder but have not yet found a need nor an opportunity to attach it.

The aesthetics of this boat combined with the high great fit and finish gives it the appearance of a high quality boat. Two outfitting places in Toronto sell the Prijon line. It pays to shop around (all of which I did via e-mails and a few phonecalls).