Submitted: 09-12-2004 by SH

Have taken my new Wenonah Heron to the Oswegatchie River in the Adirondacks, and on a solo trip to Algonquin Park in Canada, amongst other, short trips. On the twisty, turny Oswegatchie River, the Heron was a joy to paddle with my daughter. Other folks we ran into on the trip commented on the fact that we were handling the many turns much more easily than a longer canoe. Excellent secondary stability - I can stand up in it on calm water, and can easily crawl all about the canoe in the middle of the lake, if I'm by myself and need something from the bow. On the solo trip to Algonquin, I removed the stern seat, turned the canoe around, and paddled from the bow seat, as recommended by Wenonah. Obviously, this boat is not a great solo canoe, but it did work quite well for me. The Heron's tracking as a solo canoe is somewhat limited. The canoe felt very seaworthy when the wind came up on one larger lake, and I never felt in danger of capsizing. I have abused the heck out of it already - lots of scratches in the royalex, but the Heron seems to be sturdily built. Awfully heavy for portaging, though! A great boat for someone like myself who needs a tandem, but sometimes wants to solo, and doesn't have the money for kevlar.

NOCQUA Adventure Gear: