Submitted: 09-11-2004 by jrdbassman
After a lot of research, wanting a stable sea kayak, one that I could continue to enjoy for many years, I purchased the CD Sirooco. I compared the Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150, and the Necky Chatham 16. The WS had several bad reviews, so it was easy to eliminate, the Chatham by Necky was very nice. Just too small for me. I'm only 5'5", 165, and felt cramped. Having just fallen in love with kayaking and having bought a small fishing yak, I took several classes that opened my eyes to to the wonderful world of sea-kayaking. I took the Sirocco for a test run for about an hour, and knew immediately this boat was awesome! It helped talking with my sales-gal, who turned out to be an instructor, not a sales person. Went out into the tidal Potomac River near DC, with lots of wakes and wind, and this boat just gobbled it all up! It's seemed to excel in these conditions. Out on some local lakes, I found the boat to be fairly quick, and waiting for me to challenge it.

I love the classic Greenland lines, day hatch, and lots of storage. The skeg is the only way I was going to go, rudders seem to me like training wheels that you never take off. Although someday, if I live long enough, I might need that third leg to stand on. I installed a flush mount fishing rod holder just aft/portside and a paddle clip,(one with a bungy type port-side clipping device), so better to fish/photograph with. I am very pleased with this boat, and already have my eyes on the Gulfstream!