Submitted: 09-10-2004 by kchan

I bought this kayak two months ago and used it about 10 times. Reading from the reviews here, I thought of putting in a plywood floor. I called AE and they told me that the key is to make sure I have inflated the kayak with proper air pressure. You also need to make sure the floor is inflated firm. It takes a few times to learn how to inflate this correctly. Once it is properly inflated, it looks and feels like a real kayak. You can attach a spray skirt to the coaming. This is a very stable kayak and tracks fine on flat water.

In terms of speed, it is about the same as a hard shell with similar dimension. The set up is quick and simple. It takes me about 10-15 minutes to inflate and launch. One of my complaints is the twisted air valve, you need to hold on to your pump hose and the valve together while you pump with your other hand. Overall, I would say the quality of this kayak has exceeded my expectation. Few weeks ago, I went out on a recreational trip and other kayakers could not believe that I was using an inflatable kayak. After I did a demo on how to inflate and launch, they were so convinced that this kayak is better than a hard shell and they were ready to buy their own AE kayak. If you are recreational kayakers and looking for your first boat, you should seriously consider this AE kayak.