Submitted: 09-09-2004 by Beth

This is a folding kayak, for recreational use ($800). It comes in a bag that is about 34" long, by 18" by 18" (or close to that). It takes me about 30 minutes to put together, and I've put it together 4-5 times and don't think it's going to get much faster, at least for me. It takes about 10 minutes to tear down. The boat is 26 pounds, and according to the literature, can handle about 400 pounds. It is made of shock corded aluminum poles, some (4?) shaped ribs, and heavy-duty coated nylon. Everything seems to be quite durable. Between the ribs and the outside walls are sponsons. Everything you need to put the boat together is included in the package.

Once I got my boat together and on the water, everything worked fine. It doesn't track as well as my hard shell boats (Wilderness System Pungo and Current Designs Storm), nor is it as fast, but it was still a lot of fun to paddle. And, because it fits in the trunk of the car, and only weighs 26 pounds, I can get it to locations that I wouldn't carry my other boats.

It is not meant for heavy waves. The Puffin II can work for one person or two. There is an optional spray deck ($225), which I didn't choose to buy, so mine actually is open like a canoe, but I still sit on the bottom, on an inflatable seat. It's certainly the most comfortable of my boats.

Cannon Paddles: