Submitted: 09-07-2004 by KellyG

Coleman RamX gets a 10 for the value. A 9 for primary instability, lack of speed, and taking on water over the bow. It has seen the BWCA several times, the first few miles of the Mississippi during flood season, and our own 6 mile long lake in the back yard. We haven't been too careful about storing it in the MN winter, it has been outside for its entire life and uncovered for a few winters.

It can be a bit unstable when not loaded down with packs. My husband did flip it when fishing solo and casting rather vigorously... But with packs and 2 toddlers in Baby Mississippi whitewater, we bounced off rocks and strainer trees without incident. The RamX hull seems to be fine after scraping over several rocks.

Definitely NOT the fastest canoe around, but I guess that's OK for what we needed. We drilled holes in the center aluminum thwart and made our own portage pads. Just returned from a 4 person BWCA trip with a 17' Grumman and on each and every portage I wished for my own Coleman...

Can't imagine having as much fun for $20 per year as we have had with the Coleman. Will likely upgrade soon, but not because the Coleman is dead - we can better afford it now. Frankly I dread worrying about an expensive canoe - was nice to be able to hit a few rocks and land at a portage without counting the dollars at risk!