Submitted: 09-02-2004 by DK

I purchased my Q600X this past November and have used it quite a bit since then, well actually since May, considering I live in Maine and don't have a dry suit. On that note, the folks at QCC give you a 30 day no questions asked trial which was important to me. My problem was this, I wanted to take advantage of the winter sale they offer but still have a 30 day trial. No problem, they said the 30 day trial would start from the first day I put it in the water. Thatís great customer service!

As far as performance, I have to say itís a great kayak. Fast, tracks great and still very maneuverable. Even rolls quite easily. The front hatch doesnít leak at all, not a drop. The rear hatch only a touch, even if I have been rolling or practicing rescues.

I will say that I donít feel the finish and details are so great like other folks seem to say. My wife got a Wilderness Systems Tempest which the Q600X does not begin to compare with in this regard. This is not to say the Q600X is a poorly or sloppily built boat, I just donít give it high marks for fit and finish. Also, the cockpit is not well designed for layback rolls but itís not a real issue since the kayak rolls so easily. For my aesthetic tastes QCC kayaks are a little homely looking compared to the standard kayak look but I am totally content to live with that considering its stellar performance.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I am a 5'8" 150lb male and fit in the boat fairly well. I did have to put hip pads in to prevent myself from coming out during rolls but I figure every cockpit needs some adjusting.

All in all a good kayak is about performance in my opinion, and this kayak definitely has it. Just cant quite give a 10 because of it's average fit and finish.