Submitted: 08-30-2004 by 2lakes

I purchased this boat this weekend and have used it three days running. It was what I expected after researching numerous other options. Here is what I've learned. If you're looking for speedy sea kayak, look elsewhere. Boat tracks well, even w/o rudder, but is too ponderous (65lbs.) to keep up with experienced sea kayakers in narrower, lighter craft. Boat sits kind of high, even though at 230, I'm no lightweight, but it doesn't make boat tippy, as wide beam keeps you stable. It cuts through headwind rather well, but gets slowed down considerably by crosswind. As I mentioned although no lightweight, the stability & huge cockpit(I can draw my knees up out of cockpit to releive cramping) make this boat a must try for large paddlers. Poly 3 is bulletproof & seems to insulate paddler from water, which will make 4 season paddlers like myself able to regulate body temp. better. Fit & finish are A1. All the snobs that turn their nose up at this OT will hopefully keep availability high for the rest of us. At $1000, this may not be a deal, but I found a 2003 leftover for a huge savings. Boat fully loaded draws just the right amount of water. Even though boat is wide, well sculpted front rises at just the right angle to break 2-3 foot swells, and deck sheds water, and combing keeps cockpit dry. Having paddled Current Designs Sirocco(great boat,better secondary than primary stability), Wavesport Super EZ(playboat), Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT(great all around beginner sit on top), and currently still using Current Designs Speedster(great surfski & race boat), and Alden shell, I've been very plesed with overall performance/potential of Old Town, and I think it will beat anything comparable( except in weight) up to $1500, and well beyond. If I didn't research I'd give it an 8 as a sea kayak(weight and sluggishness) but knowing what I know, I'd say it's fit the bill. So it's a 10. Definately try this boat.

Suspenz: