Submitted: 11-03-1999 by Tim Mattson

I have the Looksha Sport in Kevlar without a skeg or a rudder (it should be a crime to put a skeg or rudder on such a frisky boat). The boat is stiff and VERY strong.

It is a blast to paddle. I can lean the thing over on its side and spin it on its axis. With all the volume up front, you need to spend a lot of time outfitting the boat with pads, but once you fix the fit, it rolls nicely.

Rolling-skills are important with this boat 'cause if you really want to see it at its best, you have to head to the surf zone. The boat is stable and forgiving in the surf. I was particularly impressed with how nicely the high volume bow keeps the boat from pearling.

The boat is rock solid stable. I don't understand why so many other reviewers describe the boat as tippy. I found it as stable as a barge. And once you're moving and "carving your turns", its secondary stability kicks in to delight even the most skeptical play boater.

My only complaint --- the boat is slow and with all the rocker, its tracking is not great. Of course, this isn't surprising since its not designed to be a high-speed cruiser. Still, I imagine a beginner would find the tracking a bit too soft and might have a hard time keeping up with others in the group.

Overall, I wouldn't want this as my only sea kayak (too slow), but as an ocean play boat for a heavy paddler (I weigh 225 pounds), its one of the best boats around.