Submitted: 08-30-2004 by Jonathan

OK, I'll bring a little balance to these reviews. The boat is definitely in the 'recreational' class, meaning it isn't solidly one type or another, meaning long and fit for sweet tracking or short and totally agile. Of course, that's why one buys it, to get something in between. The risk is having a boat that's good at nothing. Or, one that is versatile.

I've been pleased with the Sapphire's versatility. I've had it out on a flat river with major current (and out it's mouth), open ocean, ledgy coastline, tidal flats with lots of currents, marshes, quiet river. Though I have to work a bit harder than my friend with the 17 ft. bullet kayak, I'm much more maneuverable than he is. And, I can follow my wife down whitewater. You don't get a 9 foot kayak for the tracking; go longer if that's what you're really after. Given how short this thing is, I'm impressed with where it _does_ successfully go.

I don't think this boat is unstable at all, having tried quite a few others. Its 6 or so inches of flat side give it a high tipping point, you have to really lean it over to tip it. It's very comfortable and roomy but adjustable to box yourself in when you need to tighten up the ride. Sealing compartment. Overall, I'm pleased with , can take it out to many settings. I agree that a 9 footer in the water beats a 16 footer on the rack.