Submitted: 08-27-2004 by JeffD

I have been kayaking for about three months now with my Mailbu Two XL. This is Ocean Kayak's new model for this year. I live in upstate New York so most of my paddling experience has been on flat water lakes and rivers. I bought this model for one reason - it is stable and faster than the Malibu Two. The added length gives tandem paddlers more room and greater speed. I have had two adults and a small child on a flat water lake and it tracked and moved very well. I paddle solo often and I have not experienced any tracking problems, even in wind and going upstream on a river that had a strong current. In my area, the knock on this kayak from others is speed. I have made a lot of skeptics into believers now that they have seen this is not a barge. And since the local rivers are very high, a lot of them are envious of the stability I have. In order to paddle solo, you should buy the $12 center seat adaptor because moving up a foot or so means it tracks better in the wind and is a lot dryer ride. If your looking for a kayak to go into the ocean, everything I said above applies If you only use this on lakes and rivers and thought another brands was more suited for that purpose, don't listen to the skeptics. This is a great kayak for an individual or family on any body of water. I plan on keeping this one for many years.

Squid Anchor: