Submitted: 08-25-2004 by lalleluia
After looking at the options available to me (i.e. Thule & Yakima don't make a fit kit for my car), I decided upon Saris racks (see my review) and Malone Autoloaders. I wanted to get Autoloaders because my car is a sedan and I didn't want to scratch the back hood. I'm also short and have to load my 16 Night Hawk often by myself. Installation is pretty easy.

When loading, I generally use a stool to compensate for my height and place the bow on the Autoloader's "lip", allow it to slide in place, then use both hands to get the stern into the rear cradle. I did fumble the first few times, but I now find it easy to load the boat myself without scratching up the car.

I did find that once when driving at highway speed with a strong crosswind, the saddles shifted a bit and needed to be re-tightented. If you do choose them with Saris racks, I would check the tightness occasionally. Also, make sure that the straps are threaded through the slots such that it fits securely for your boat. I use bow and stern lines from Yakima in addition to the cradles.

Malone is a good company to deal with. They didn't want me to have to pay for their product unless I was completely happy with it. This was comforting to me because there was no dealer nearby and I couldn't see the product first.

I haven't seen any damage of any kind caused by the use of the Autoloaders.