Submitted: 11-01-1999 by RWO

The Bayou is my first kayak. In the 14 months since I bought it, I've been down a high Russian River, out in the Pacific Ocean in Northern California, on various bays, and lakes large and small. I even ocean surfed in this boat. The strengh of the Bayou is it's versatility. The short length and moderate weight make it easy to transport and launch. Its only weaknesses are those that are evident when comparing it to a specialized, rather than a generalized, boat. The primary stability is fantastic, and tracking is, as advertized, great. I took a sea kayaking intro course and used this boat, and the instructor laughed at how fast the boat flipped a 180 when leaned over past the limit of the marginal secondary stability. And in the rescue portion of the class, it was evident that my flotation bag in the stern wasn't enough for reentry into a waterlogged cockpit. But a beginner won't be leaning the boat that far over, ever. I'll definitely keep my Bayou as my 'guest boat' when I get the true ocean kayak that now meets my preferred paddling activity.