Submitted: 08-23-2004 by mikesafh

My first Perception Carolina 14.5 Airalite had to be returned (it had a hull-length slice and/or got crushed before it made it to my car rack, so it was not what you'd call seaworthy). This has admittedly spooked me a bit on the durability of Airalite, but many other folks have said it's quite strong. The other one I bought has had no such problems, and has already stood up pretty well to some unorthodox pressures, shall we say.

I've been out on it a few times, in the C&O Canal and Potomac River, and am quite impressed with it. It's easy to get in (and out) of the cockpit (with some caveats, below), its 41lb weight makes it easy to handle by yourself, and it's very stable (primary and secondary). Pretty responsive, too, for maneuverability and speed.

The things I'm finding aren't quite worthy of a 10 rating are: the foot pegs, with the rudder, don't stay where they are (by design), making it hard to get your feet nice and snug sometimes, until you push the rail forward; there are no deck lines or painters suitable for helping you get back into the boat; and my aft bulkhead leaks.

All in all, I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment with this boat.