Submitted: 08-20-2004 by blksheep

I paid a deposit back in february at the toronto autoshow, intending to inquire the 145T but the salesperson talked me into getting the 135T. my reservation was that if i bring my kid out camping, 1 foot shorter means 1 foot less of gear i can carry. but Swift Canoe assures me that if i dont like it, i can switch back to 145T.

i brought my 13yrs old along, tried out the 135T and 145T in may. the 145T is a lot narrower, not comfortable to sit in, especially the front seat. its a lot easier to tip over as well. not that it happened, but i had a hard time balancing it with a 13yrs old first timer onboard. as for the 135T though one foot shorter, the opening is wider and longer, actually it would hold just as much (if not more) gears as the 145T.

the 135T is not fast with two on it. doesnt turn that well but still easier than the 145T. its very stable. i tried the Phase 3 seats on the 145T, its not that much better than the basic seat i have on the 135T. i stick with the basic setup with the 135T, no rudder, 895Cdn+tax. rather than the 145T at 1099Cdn+tax.

3 months now, i find myself doing solo most of the time. (my kid takes my Tarpon120 all the time.) at first find the 135T doesnt track well and go very slow. after a few trials, i drilled 2 more holes on the center rod, shifting the seat forward, finding the good spot to sit greatly improve the performance of it. i came close to adding the rudder, but i dont need to anymore. when solo, it turns well and tracks well. Tarpon 120 is a lot easier and more fun to be in.

there were a few times i went out in 1-2ft of rough water. 135T handles very well. but it takes on a lot of water from the large cockpit. i wish it comes with the third set of footrest. the tracks are there but there's only 2prs of footrest. now i take the front pair and put it in the middle for solo.

yeah, just like the rest of the 135T owners i got tricked thinking i was getting a 55lbs boat. but now the website changes it back to 69lbs. if not that i would have given a "10" for the rating.