Submitted: 08-12-2004 by MedicineMan
I purchased a used Lincoln Eggemoggin via Jersey Paddler and drove to Brick, New Jersey last week to retrieve the kayak. While on the eastern seaboard we took the opportunity to paddle a few sights which allowed me to become aquainted with the Egg as we soon began calling it. I found the Eggemoggin after a year long boat with a 'glove-box' or emergency hatch immediately in front of the cockpit. We discovered kayaks with this feature on a trip to New Zealand last September and found that the ubiquitous 'day-hatch' pales in comparison to the utility of the glove-box as it is called in NZ and Australia.

If you have tried to access the day-hatch in a quatering sea then you know the futility of that move. The Eggemoggin sits comfortably, and this compared to a Nordkapp Jubilee I've been in for over 3 years. The Egg's backband is more comfortable and the seat proper is of a conforming compound that is more akin to a very firm pillow. The cockpit length was 1.5inches shorter than the Nordkapp and required me to sit on the deck and slide in versus a one leg in knee up entry I use in the Brittish boat. Ininitial stability and secondary stability of the Egg are beyond the Nordkapp's, attributable to the 1inch gain in width and the more sheer chine.

Tracking is better as well as it should be with a more pronounced 'v'. Paddling speed need not be a detractor in this Lincoln model. I sprinted to 5.2mph according to the Garmin on the deck. A normal crusing speed of 4mph is easy to maintain for several hours depending on conditions of course. The bow and stern of the Egg are not as pronounced (well not at all) compared to the Nordkapp and this fact was appreciated in windy crossings.

I experience such little weather cocking I would say that it is insignificant in this boat. Another feature I liked about the Egg was the use of the Kajak-Sport hatches. 1 large oval in the stern (16.5x12 inch), a typical day-hatch (6inch round)cover on the day-hatch, the small cover of the emergency gear hatch (4inch round), and a medium size (9.5inch round)in the bow. This 9.5inch hatch in the bow is an improvement over the smaller bow hatch of the Jubilee (and noted that Valley has introduced the Nordkapp H2O with 2 large hatches)...

The Egg is advertised as weighing 42 pounds and I can only guess it is accurate,e.g. I have not scaled it as of yet, but it feels that light (though slighly heavier than a kevlar Sea Lion we have). Durability---well this is a used boat and one can only guess what it has gone through. The slight number of scratches either paint a picture of a very careful former owner or a life devoid of rocks and oyster shells. Obviously it is not intended to test the reverse impact of a rock garden like the Brittish boat but on the other side of life is the fact that car-topping is part of kayak touring and the Egg dominates here.

Overall impression of this boat is OUTSTANDING if not for the emergency hatch alone, it is as monumental to me as a paddler as sliced bread was to a sandwich maker at one time...for ultralightweight backpackers it is a revolutionary as the Ultralight A-sym byHennessey Hammocks. When paddling last week in New Jersey, Delaware, and Assateague I kept a marine radio, a digital camera, and 3 snack bars in it. Other smaller items would have fit as well. All modern sea kayaks should have this feature and I will not consider buying another kayaks unless it is there-nuff said about the glove-box. Other features: retractable skeg, smooth in operation and driven by bar (rod)and not wire (cable)-another plus over the Nordkapp (in my book anyway).

Negatives: behind the cockpit is a nice glassed in bulkhead but in front of the feet is a foam bulkhead as well as between the day-hatch and the bow hatch....why didnt Lincoln glass all the bulkheads? I agree that foam gaurantees flotation even when the boat is without dry bags but I think glassed in bulkheads give so much added strength. Another negative- the nameplate looks kinda cheesy to me, but then again I was never found of the 'Jubilee' nameplate either...not the names themselves mind you, just the decal applique' and the font chosen. One last negative.....the keel strip is not so neat on the stern end...this could be a minor mishap with a rock by the former owner-cant tell.

OK, if your lookin at Lincoln for a kayak strongly consider this boat, I would not hesitate to purchase another Eggemoggin if perhaps something terrible befalls mine.

Other kayaks I own: Nordkapp Jubilee, Necky Looksha II (kevlar), Aquaterra Sea Lion (kevlar), Aquaterra Chinook x2 (roto), Perception Umiak (roto), Perceptin Acadia (roto), Folbot Edisto (take apart), Perception Vizcaya (roto), Widerness Systems Artic Hawk Pro. Any questions about the Eggemoggin dont hesitate to ask.