Submitted: 08-11-2004 by Dr_Disco
I have a fiberglass version that is about 3 years old. I have taken it on several trips of a week or more and paddle it around the lake I live on. Overall I am very pleased with the Falcon. It handles well without a rudder or skeg in ordinary conditions. In following seas you need to edge it significantly to keep it from broaching. You also have to edge it significantly to turn it, which can be somewhat scary to new paddlers since it has very low initial stability. It is fast and resistant to weathercocking. Paddling with a small amount of edging handles any weathercocking well. In fact the boat seems to lean almost by itself in those conditions. If you happen to capsize it is easy to roll. On the negative side ... It came with Keepers footpegs, which are a piece of sh***. I replaced them with Yakima aluminum. The back support never worked well for me and, as others have reported, is prone to breakage. I replaced it with an IR backband and am very happy. I was concerned that the small hatch covers would make it difficult to pack stuff but as it turns out I have never had a problem. My gear tends to be back packing size and weight so YMMV. I do not recommend this as a first boat. If this is a "move up to" boat, then do a lot of practice turning with a J-lean (of course, be sure you can roll when you capsize). Eddyline customer service is first rate.