Submitted: 08-09-2004 by Rick Johnson

We bought this boat because it was cheap; and cheap is the operative word here. In Tucson, we are really limited on the kayaks we can get (unless you want to pay a lot of money on shipping) so when I saw the Acadia for only $300 I got it for my daughter as a back-up boat.

PROs: comfortable, handles well and fun to paddle on still water and light enough to lift onto the car roof after a long day on the water.

CONs: thin shell which requires a thick foam block in both bow & sterm for support. This interferes with gear capacity so my normal day gear of lunch, float cushion, throw bag, camera, bailer & sponge are really cramped and mostly on deck. But the main problem is that the cockpit rim is set flush with the deck so ANY wave goes into the boat. A raised cockpit rim would solve this problem easily but now we have to wear a skirt when on a lake and in the Arizona heat, that bakes the inside.

Personally, I'd gladly trade this for another boat. preferable a Pungo or Manteo or Loon. Something with a thicker shell and raised cockpit rim.